Rasgulla is a syrupy dessert popular in the Indian subcontinent. Rasgullas are spongy, light and very delicious. These are made from home made cottage cheese and require very few ingredients. Traditionally these are whitish in color and had chilled :)
Step 1: Ingredients Required
- Full fat milk - 6 cups (makes 24 Rasgullas)
- Sugar - 3 cups
- Water - 6 cups
- Lime/lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
- Food color - as desired
Step 2: Preparing Ragulla Balls
- In a heavy bottom pan, pour milk and let it come to a complete boil while stirring continuously
- Once it comes to a boil, pour in lime juice little by little and keep stirring the milk
- You will find the milk forming lumps within 1-3 minutes of adding lime juice and once this lumps start to form, switch off the heat and let the milk sit till you can see greenish kind of liquid which is called whey
- In a large bowl place a colander and place cheese clothes or a clean thin cloth to catch all the milk solids
- Pour the milk mixture into the cloth and and apply little pressure to get most of the whey out
- Tie and hang the cloth for 30 minutes to ensure complete whey comes out
- Take a large bowl, place the milk solids which is called cottage cheese and kneed with light hand for about 5 minutes to get a soft ball.
- Divide the cottage cheese into 6 balls and put desired color on each cheese ball and kneed just a little till all the color is incorporated into the balls
- Divide each colored ball further into 4 balls which would totally give us 24 balls. Roll the balls between both the palms so we get a smooth finish.
Step 3: Preparing Sugar Syrup
- Place sugar and water into a large heavy bottom pan and let it come to a complete boil
- Once it comes to a boil, let it simmer for 7 minutes
Step 4: Preparing Sweet Rasgullas
- Once balls are ready, bring the sugar syrup again to a roaring boil and slowly put the balls into the syrup while the syrup continues to boil
- Put a lid and let the balls cook for 20 minutes while the sugar syrup continues to boil continuously
- Every 5 minutes open the lid and very slowly move the rasgullas. Be careful not to break them as they are very delicate. The rasgullas will puff up to almost double their original size.
- After 20 minutes, transfer the rasgullas and syrup to a bowl and once cooled place in fridge for minimum 6 hours or overnight for the syrup to ooze into the rasgullas and to make them soft, sweet and spongy.
Hope you like it :)