- 3 X Ikea Expedit Bookshelves ($90 each)
- 2 X Ikea Observator Cross Braces 393 Version ($5 each) - Be sure to select the 39" version, not the 28"
- Queen Size Mattress
- Queen Size Bed Frame or 80" X 58 5/8" sheet of wood
- Ikea Lekman boxes ($12 each; 8 fit in each bookcase; I only put 8 Lekman boxes in the bookcase at the foot of the bed; Ikea has many storage options for the Expedit Bookcases)
- 3 X Mat Shelf Liners sized at least 15.5" X 59" ($5-8 each)
- Philips screwdriver
Step 1: Build the Expedit Bookshelves
Step 2: Install Cross Braces
I chose to install the cross brace at the foot of the bed on the inside (under the frame) so that it would not interfere with reaching storage from the outside. At the head of the bed (touching the wall), I installed the cross brace on the outside so that it would not interfere with reaching the storage under the bed.
Step 3: Place Frame & Bed on top
Then place the bed frame or 80" X 58 5/8" sheet of wood on top of that. For this project, I lined up 4 narrower sheets of 80" X 14 5/8" wood.
Because the bed is around 3 1/2 feet high, kids and those under 5'10" will need a chair or stool to climb into it. But if you need the storage, this provides lots of organized space.
See my original article on the Ikea Expedit Bookshelf Bed.