So i previously had built a movie poster for my living room as a fun project. It was a lot of fun, but the viewing angle of the 10" touchscreen i got from eBay wasn't that great, and the images were small (as its only 10" diagonally.)
I decided today i really wanted to get a better screen even though i cant put a full size tv up on the wall just yet. Once my fiancé and i move into a home, ill be building a TV into the wall and framing it to look like a proper poster that has been hung on the wall.
For now the 19" screen is AWESOME compared to the old screen.
1"x4" Wood (from a broken down pallet)
19" Computer Monitor
3" Sheetrock Screws
1' Extension Cable
Raspberry Pi 2
2A 5VDC Adapter
Micro USB Cable
HDMI to DVI Cable
Sticky Squares for Zipties
Fine Tip Screwdriver
Step 1: Build the Frame & Disassemble the Monitor Case
So I had grabbed some pallets from work and brought them home and broke them down a while ago, and measured the outside of the computer monitor after taking the monitor out of its case/plastic.
The dimensions of the monitor were 17"x11", so the wood pieces ended up being 17" & 12.5" I cut another piece in the center that will be used to actually mount the monitor into the frame. There are tabs on one side of the monitor that you will need to drill into the wood to create recesses for. I didn't get any good pictures but if you do this who knows if you will get the same monitor. This was just the easiest monitor I could get. In case you do want to get the exact monitor, its an Asus 191W. I still have to futz with the resolution because the 1440x900 is kinda messing with how the posters are displayed since they are 1440x900.
For mounting the wooden bracket i just pressed the frame against the table, and the screen against the table so it was flush, then pressed the bracket in so it was against the back of the vesa mount of the screen. Then i measured from the top of the wood to the center of the bracket piece drilled holes and like magic, it was mounted.
Step 2: Modify the Power Cable
So when i did my old version i didn't have the room to have this type of setup and really just didn't feel like doing it. So i have the room with this case, and the monitor takes an IEC cable, so i just lopped off the C14 end with some length left and then used butt splices to splice the the C14 and the female Edison end from the 1' extension mentioned in the parts list back on.
Step 3: Mount the Raspberry Pi 2 & Route Cables
So i used some sticky squares and screwed them in so they stay in place, and dressed the power cable to it, then put some on the back of the screen to keep the DVI cable in place. I had a 6 footer laying around so i just used that cause i was trying to do this on the cheap.
I mounted the Raspberry Pi with some screws into some plexiglass i had laying around, and then dual locked it onto the back of the screen. I layed a crapton of electrical tape on the back of the screen so in case the raspberry pi makes contact with it its not conductive.
Step 4: Faceplate & Paint
I have some 1/4" plywood laying around I will be using to build the face to cover the bezel of the screen and the imperfections in the wood. Im not entirely sure how im going to mount the face to the wood, with screws or not. I think im probably going to use some finish nails and wood glue, or maybe just wood glue and clamp it down. I was thinking about doing 4 separate pieces of wood and using some wood putty to make it all flush and nice, but i might try and do it with only one piece, and just cut the screen size out of the wood, then cut the edges close with some overlap and then cut them flush with my japanese pull saw from home depot.
So I didnt take too many pictures of the build during this part, but its fairly basic wood working. So i tried doing this all in one piece, but did not have a way of making holes big enough to get the saw into so i could cut the inside hole out. I ended up just marking on the frame where the bezel ended and the screen began and cutting out pieces that were wider than the outside of the wooden frame and gluing them in place. then once the glue was set i trimmed the wood, and did this for all four sides. I then used wood putty to fill in any imperfections on the front as well as some spaces and imperfections on the sides. If you used some decent wood to start this project with this may not concern you, but the pallet wood i used was rough cut type stuff so there were chips pulled off from shipping and me disassembling it.
All in all it looks decent enough. I wasnt too concerned with the wood working part being absolutely perfect. Once it was painted I grabbed 2 sawtooth picture hanging brackets and put those on the back and some nails into the drywall.
Step 5: Python Script
So my Python script is setup to interact with my Crestron home theater, so it waits for a connection and based on the string it receives, the poster will either shut off the screen, turn on the screen and display a startup video and then a poster, or it will just display a random poster.
If you want this to act on its own you might need to modify the python script to just display random posters on an interval however long you want.
I updated the python script. It now will kill any FBI process except the currently displayed one, and i figured out why the script was not killing processes. the python script MUST use sudo to display the images, and when i set cron up to run the script at boot, the script was not run as root. changing it to @reboot sudo python RPI_DigiPoster.py will fix the user permission isse.
The second script with Garrett in front of it is a stripped down version that will display random posters at 10 minute intervals.