This is a chili recipe my boyfriend and I came up with - it's nice and spicy without being overwhelming thanks to the additional of a whole habanero, and has a nice veggies/beans to meat ratio. It's also perfect for chili dogs! Lots of chili powder gives it a beautiful color and makes it tasty tasty.
It's also better the next day - so it's a great recipe to make ahead and reheat!
Step 1: Ingredients!
- one 14 oz can crushed tomatoes OR tomato sauce (try for a low sodium or no sodium variety)
- two 14 oz cans chili beans
- one pound of ground beef (ground turkey also works, as does faux ground beef for you veggies!)
- half a beer - roughly one cup - choose a beer you enjoy!
- two onions, any color
- one bell pepper - red, orange, or yellow - sweeter is better.
- three cloves of garlic
- three tablespoons chili powder
- one habanero pepper - or, if you're scared of that, a chopped fresh jalapeno!
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- fritos (Tyler eats it this way all the time!)
- pickled jalapenos
- chopped onion
- medium pot with lid, preferably heavy bottomed
- cutting board