for the chili:
- one 14 oz can crushed tomatoes OR tomato sauce (try for a low sodium or no sodium variety)
- two 14 oz cans chili beans
- one pound of ground beef (ground turkey also works, as does faux ground beef for you veggies!)
- half a beer - roughly one cup - choose a beer you enjoy!
- two onions, any color
- one bell pepper - red, orange, or yellow - sweeter is better.
- three cloves of garlic
- three tablespoons chili powder
- one habanero pepper - or, if you're scared of that, a chopped fresh jalapeno!
- salt and pepper to taste
(Pro tip: after years of failed chili recipes, I have decided that the perfect tomato/bean ratio is two cans of beans to one can of tomatoes. You do that, you really can't go wrong. Too much tomato anything will turn a fantastic chili into a horrible ketchup-y concoction that cannot be saved.)
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- fritos (Tyler eats it this way all the time!)
- pickled jalapenos
- chopped onion
- medium pot with lid, preferably heavy bottomed
- cutting board