The idea to make it a stand up card was inspired by a corporate xmas card we got a few years ago (it looked like this). You can read about why we went with rats and see some of my early sketches for the card over on my blog.
I've added the template to this instructable so you can make this adorable card for your valentine or any other rat lovers in your life.
Step 1: What you'll need
- the template provided with this instructable
- cardstock (at least one letter sized sheet)
- glue (I used rolling glue dots but a glue stick or white glue would work as well)
- an X-acto knife or scissors (or even better, a cutting machine)
- a printer
- puff paint or sequins for the eyes
- different coloured cardstock
- lace, fabric or other embellishments
Step 2: Cut it out!
Carefully cut out all of the pieces.
Decorate the rats and background. I added a small dot of shiny black puff paint to each rat for the eyes and cut the top hat out of black velvet craft paper. For our save the date cards I used an image of a concrete wall for the background and added a little lace tutu to the smaller rat.
Glue the top hat onto the bigger rat.
Step 3: Assemble!
There are 5 bottom spacing strips, 3 long ones for the middle and 2 shorter ones for either side. They slide onto the big background piece so the rounded corners are facing up.
Add the 2 rats and the front piece and you're ready to go.