Introduction: Raw Jackfruit Curry
We like to devour the tasteful pulps from a fully ripe jackfruits and discard everything else. But do you know that most parts of a raw unripe jackfruit can be cooked as normal vegetable other than the thorny outer skin?
Here is a simple recipe to make tasty curry from raw unripe jackfruits.
Step 1: Harvest or Buy a Raw Jackfruit
If you have jackfruit tree in your backyard, you can harvest a baby jackfruit or buy one from the vegetable market. A beetle or some insect has damaged the stalk of one of our young baby jackfruit. So I harvested the same to make jackfruit curry.
Step 2: Cut and Remove Thorny Skin
- Cut the baby jackfruit in half. The fruit contains a sticky sap. Apply oil on your hands and the knife before cutting
- Using an oiled knife, trim away the thorny skin.
- Cut the skinned fruit into further small pieces.
Step 3: Remove Center Stalk and Cut Into Cubes
- The jackfruit contains a center stalk which is not edible.
- Using the knife remove the center stalk from all the pieces
- Cut the fruit into small pieces of 3/4 inches in size
- Wash and clean the cut pieces and drain out the water
Step 4: Add Turmeric Powder and Salt
- Transfer the cut pieces into cooking vessel
- Add about two teaspoons of turmeric powder
- Add salt a little more than required. Most of the salt will be drained out with the water used for boiling
- Mix everything together
Step 5: Boil the Jackfruit Cubes
- Add clean water to the vessel so that it submerges all pieces in the vessel
- Boil the pieces over medium fire.
- You can cover the vessel with a lid during boiling
- Check to see if the pieces are completely cooked.
Step 6: Drain Out Water
- Once the jackfruit pieces are completely cooked and soft to touch, remove from fire.
- Drain out the excess water using a strainer.
- Leave the pieces in the strainer for about 15 to 20 minutes so that all excess water drains down.
Step 7: Grated Coconut and Spices
In the meantime grate half a coconut using a coconut grater and keep aside.
Also keep the following spices ready in a small dish
- Two teaspoons of red chili powder (Add as per your own taste)
- one and half teaspoons of Cumin seed powder
- One teaspoon of Fennel seed powder
- A pinch of Asafoetida powder
Step 8: Tempering
- Heat a tablespoon of any cooking oil in a frying pan
- When a oil is hot add a teaspoon of mustard seeds mixed with split black gram lentils
- When the mustard seeds start cracking, add a bunch of curry leaves
Step 9: Add Spices
- Now you can add the spices to the hot oil in the pan
- Mix them well using a ladle till the spices are blended with the oil in the pan.
- Add the boiled jackfruit pieces to the pan and mix well
Step 10: Add the Grated Coconut
- Add the grated coconut to the pan and mix with the jackfruit pieces.
- Check for salt as some of the salt might have been drained out with water. Add if required
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish.
The baby jackfruit curry has an excellent taste. You can eat it with rice, chapaties or bread
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.