This instructable will show you how to restring an acoustic guitar in 6 easy-to-follow steps.
After getting the required Materials needed to restring your guitar then you just follow the steps.
These steps are as follows:
• Remove string
• Insert new string
• Attach string
• Tune strings
I have also added a few clips in the Tune Strings section for those people that don't have a guitar tuner handy.
Step 1: Materials
The Materials you will need to change your strings are:
• Acoustic Guitar strings
• Needle nose pliers
• Wire cutters
• Guitar tuner (not required, but helpful)
Step 2: Remove String
• Loosen a string by turning the tuning knob.
• Unhook it from the nut once it is very loose.
• Straighten the wire using the needle nose pliers
• Pull the string out of the tuner post.
• Pull the string out of the bridge.
Step 3: Clean
When all the strings are on, you never have a chance to clean the dust that builds up in those places.
It keeps your guitar clean and looking good.
Step 4: Insert New String
• Look at the chart and determine which string to use.
• Push String into the back side of Bridge.
• Use needle nose pliers to grab tip of string out of bridge.
• Pull string all the way through until metal ball at the end is firmly pressed against the bridge.
Step 5: Attach String
• Turn the tune knob till the tuner post hole is facing slightly away from the guitar.
• Slide the string through the tuner post hole.
• Leave around an inch of slack not pulled through.
• Wrap String around the tuner post away from the guitar.
• Wrap around and under the string to be used.
• Immediately wrap end of string up and away from guitar.
• Turn tune knob to tighten string until almost you hear a clear tone.
Step 6: Repeat
I take off one string at a time because that way only a little tension in the neck gets taken off which saves a lot of tuning time.
You won't have to re-tune it nearly as many times.
Step 7: Tune Strings
You must know the order of notes from lowest to highest in standard tuning which is: E A D G B E
----------------------------- Attached are video's to help tune your guitar. ------------------------------
Tuning with a Tuner - This shows you how to read a tuner and to adjust the tuning knobs based on what the tuner shows.
Watch the video: Tuning with Tuner.
Generally, you want the tuner to go to the middle.
• Tighten the string or tune it higher if the red light on the left is on.
• Loosen the string or tune it down if the red light on the right is on.
• Adjust until you see the middle green light on.
Tuning without a tuner - This shows you how to tune your guitar without having a tuner.
Watch the video's:
• Tuning low E
• Tuning A
• Tuning D
• Tuning G
• Tuning B
• Tuning high E
It's not the easiest thing to tune a guitar without a tuner, but after some practice gets easier.
Starting with the low E string you need to:
• Play the video clip on your speaker on repeat.
• Strum the same string as the video you chose.
• Keep adjusting the string until it sounds nearly the same.
• Listen carefully for a wavy sound.
• Adjust until you hear the wavy sound slow way down or disappear.
• Repeat for all the other strings.