This is a project I'm currently working on for my local combat robotics club. It is an LED light system that will signal the drivers when the match will start. Here are the goals I was aiming for:
- Physically appear similar to an older style traffic light that suspends in the middle of the intersection.
- Be controlled without a microprocessor (i.e. no Arduino)
- Internal power supply that can run the system for several days.
- Be protected from shrapnel and flying robots.
- Incorporate sounds as well as lights.
- Be very bright and look cool!
Testing at home:
A video of it in action (with brightness toned down):