Introduction: Real Food Cookies (gluten/dairy Free)
It is completely possible to eat REAL FOOD over the holidays!! You can make memories with your kids and have fun baking without eating processed food and food dyes. I created this recipe as a challenge to myself to see if I could bake without added sugar. Mission accomplished!
These cookies are gluten/grain free, dairy free, food dye free and sugar free (depending on what add-ins you use). They also take only about 3 minutes to throw together. Win/win :)
They taste delicious, but not super sweet. Almost like something you'd want to eat with a cup of tea.
Step 1: Ingredients
1 cup mashed sweet potato (cooked, leftovers work well)
2 large ripe bananas (use 3 if your bananas are small)
1 16 oz jar of cashew butter (unsalted, unsweetened)
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
Add-ins: I used bittersweet chocolate chips and unsweetened shredded coconut, but you can use anything you like really....or nothing at all. They are tasty on their own!
This recipe makes ~45 cookies.
Step 2: Instructions
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
1. Put all of your ingredients (except for any add-ins) into a food processor. Mix on high until the batter is smooth (at least 30 seconds). You will need to stop at least once to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
2. Transfer you batter to a large bowl, and stir in any "add-ins" by hand. I used 1 cup of bittersweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut. Use whatever you like or nothing at all.
3. Drop your cookie dough/batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches of space between each cookie.
4. Bake for 15-16 minutes. You will need to watch the cookies closely at the end. You want them to be golden brown without burning. The longer you cook them, the crispier they will be. Cool them on a wire cooking rack.
5. These cookies taste best the same day they are baked. However, if you plan to make them ahead of time, you can store them for days in the fridge (where they will turn soft). When you are ready to eat/serve them, reheat them in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. This will make them crispy again! They also freeze well. Defrost them overnight in the fridge and reheat in the oven for 10 minutes. Perfect cookies anytime :)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.