An additional component is a pair of sunglasses with a row of LEDs on top. The LEDs will blink with increasing frequency as the runner’s speed increases.
This is accomplished by an Arduino with a Wave Shield to play music, and an accelerometer to calculate the speed of the runner.
Step 1: Materials list
Wav Shield http://www.ladyada.net/make/waveshield/
12 volt battery
Step 2: Arduino hardware
2. Put the accelerometer on a breakout board.
3. Connect the accelerometer by soldering wires to the proper pins on the shield - 5 volts power to pin 6, ground to pin 7, and analog input 0 to pin 4. It’s probably best to use header pins for stability.
4. Solder a wire long enough to reach from your hip to your face (will be connected to LEDs) to digital pin 7 long enough to reach from your hip to your face (or another digital pin, but you’ll have to change the code).
5. Solder a wire long enough to reach from your hip to your face (will also connect to LEDs) to the ground pin.
6. Plug in the shield to the Arduino.