This is my first Instructable so we'll see how it goes.
I want to document the construction of my recumbent bicycle, herein after referred to as the Rec-liner, or more probably just the bike.
The bike has a number of unique features that may be of interest to other bike builders including;
- under-seat, remote steering
- intermediate drive with an elliptical front chain ring
- mostly standard bicycle parts to make replacing and upgrading parts easy
I built this bike around 18 months ago, but as I did not have Instructables in mind at that time so there are no actual build photos. I have however pulled the bike apart a little to take some photos so hopefully this should make the following easy to understand.
Step 1: Materials
You should be able to build the complete bike using only two donor bikes but there are a number of specific requirements for each.
Donor bike 1 - Mountain bike with 26in wheels
- rear end (rear triangle, bottom bracket, cranks, derailers etc.)
- handlebars, handlebar stem, head tube, fork tube
- an indexed gear system is recommended
Donor bike 2 - Mountain bike with 20in wheels
- front end (handlebar stem, head tube, forks, wheel)
- bottom bracket, cranks
Both bikes would ideally have triple chain rings that are removable from the cranks.
2.8m of 50mm x 25mm rectangular section steel tube (1.2mm thickness)
Plywood for seat
Foam rubber for seat
Scrap steel plate (3mm)
1m of 10mm threaded rod
2 x 10mm rod ends (female thread)
Plastic tubing (10mm inside diameter)
Welder (I used 130A arc welder with satisfactory results)
Usual tools required for bike maintenance