The recipe today is an old french pie called "the cap". It's called a cap as you will see it inflates a lot during baking. Follow these simple steps to get this pie !
Warning, this pie contains a little amount of alcohol.
Step 1: Ingredients
Nothing hard... You will need:
- 3 eggs
- 250 gr of flour
- 90 gr of sugar
- butter (for the mold)
Step 2: Eggs and Sugar
In a large bowl, mix three eggs and 90 gr of sugar.
Step 3: Flour
Add 250 gr of flour and carefully mix everything.
Meanwhile, turn on the oven at 200°C, with convection if available.
Step 4: Milk, Oil and Rhum
Add 1/2 liter of half-skimmed milk, about 3 tablespoons of oil, and 5 tablespoons of brown rum.
Mix everything. The dough is very liquid, it's normal !
Step 5: Prepare the Mold
Ok, to bake this pie you will need to use a large mold, as the thickness of the dough should be small (about one centimeter or less...). So I use one of my oven plate for this. To prevent the pie from sticking, you must:
- spread butter on the mold, in the corners and in the edges,
- put one or two tablespoon of flour,
- shake the mold to spill the flour on the entire mold, in the corner and on the edges.
- reverse the mold over the sink, to remove the ecxess of flour.
The mold is ready !
Step 6: Baking
- put the dough on the mold, and put everything in the oven.
- bake if for about 8 minutes at 200°C, and reduce the heat at 175°C after, for 20 minutes.
The pie should inflate a lot during baking. Stops the baking when the corners have a nice brown color.
Tip : after baking, I usually cut the oven, and leave the door slightly opened with a wooden stick.
Step 7: Et Voilà !
Here we are ! A very simple pie.
In my region, we usually made this pie during the winter. This pie is tasty with jam, ice-cream, or simply with nothing.
I love making it as it is tasty, very simple to do, doesn't require to use a lot of dishes for making, and it's easy to cut (with your hands) before eating !
Thanks for reading !