This does not require any sort of adapters!
-one fried laptop
-one working laptop
-Ubuntu live boot disc or Flash drive
-somewhere to put your recovered files
Step 1: Swap the Hard Drives
1. Locate the hard drive in your fried laptop.
2. Remove it.
3. Locate the hard drive in your working laptop.
4. Remove it.
5. Remove the cases from both of the hard drives.
6. Put the case of the good laptop on the fried laptop's hard drive.
7. Put the fried laptop's hard drive in the working laptop.
Step 2: Grab Ubuntu
1. Go here: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
2. Make your Ubuntu CD or Flash drive.
1. Go here: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/cds
2. Buy an Ubuntu live boot CD.
When i got Ubuntu, they were giving away the CD's for free, and came with free stickers!
Step 3: Load Up Ubuntu
1. Turn on your computer
2. During load up, press f12 to bring you to the boot menu.
3. Choose your boot CD or Flash drive.
4. Choose "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer"
This will not install Ubuntu on your computer or anything, don't worry.
Step 4: Get Your Files Back!
1. Click places > ___GB media
2. Click places > flash drive or external hard drive or whatever
3. Drag files from the fried laptop's hard drive onto your flash drive or whatever.
4. Shut down your computer, remove the fried laptop's hard drive, remove the boot disc.
5. Replace your regular hard drive.