I work for a company in which the main tool they use is a drill, a dewalt dw511 to be exact. It came time to upgrade and replace broken drills and I was left with a milk crate of drill handles. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them and just had to acquire a few more pieces. This took over a year to find all the right pieces. These are the pieces I salvaged from scrap bins and how I put them together to create a spiral shoe, glove, scarf, hat and coat rack.
Step 1: Tools
For this project, the tools I used are as follows:
- Cutting Disc
- Flapper Disc
- Wire Wheel
- Tape Measure or Square
-Welder w/ Proper PPE
Step 2: Materials
I found an old table at the dump, took off the rotted top and there was a perfectly good steel table stand.
I also found a perfect circle cut out and a 1 1/2" pipe( the same diameter as the drill handles)
Having said that, the material I used for this project are as follow:
- Table Stand
- Perfect Circle Cut Out
- 6' x 1 1/2" Pipe
- Spray Paint
- 24 Drill Handles
- 2 feet 14 Gauge wire
- Dish Soap
Step 3: Make a Base
Using a square I measured 10" up from the bottom of the table stand. Drawing a line all the way around gave me a nice line to follow with the grinder and a cutting disc. I cut off the top, leaving me with a base I can slide the pipe into.
Step 4: Paint Removal
Using a grinder and a wire wheel, I slowly but surely removed the layers of paint until I was left with bare steel. I also took the mill scale and rust off of the pipe.
Step 5: Inserted Pipe Into Base
When inserting the pipe, I discover it wasn't a perfect fit, it was a close fit, but not perfect.
Step 6: Make Some Spacers
Using approximately 6" lengths of 14 gauge wire, I bent them into a "U" shape and placed them on each side of the base, bringing the pipe to the centre.
Step 7: Welding
Using a welder, I tacked beside each spacer, removed the spacers, and connected the tacks with four welds. Using a grinder and a flapper disc I smoothed out the weld for paint.
Step 8: Painting
After welding the pipe to the base, I used krylon 2x coverage with two coats. Using a flapper disc and a grinder I took the paint off of the top of the four legs revealing the bare steel.
Step 9: Cleaning
As u can imagine, the handles were really dirty. I took the handles apart by twisting the handle and removing the bolt. I gave them a good soak in hot water and dish soap. Hand washed them all and let them dry. Once dry, I re assembled the handles.
Step 10: Placing the Handles
I wanted the handles to go up in a spiral shape, for consistency sake I used a spacer.
Step 11: Spacing
I had this square piece Of steel measuring 2" . Using this I measured the vertical spacing for consistency. And looking overhead downward, lining up the widest part of the handle to where it just touches the handle below.
Step 12: Added Handles
Using the spacer I continued adding handles in the spiral pattern
Step 13: More Handles
Handle after handle I slid them down the pole and measured and placed them to maintain the spiral pattern. If you were to build this you could adjust them however you'd like, whenever you'd like.
Step 14: Done!!
And that's how I saved 24 Drill handles and a table stand from the garbage giving them new life holding my slippers, gloves, scarves, coats and hats, thanks for looking.