Introduction: Recycle Old Clothes: Turn White Ribbed Tanks Into New Colorful Tops
This tutorial will show you how easy it is to recycle clothes!
Here we will take a pack of men's ribbed tank tops and dye them.
They turn out so cute and are perfect for summer.
Step 1: What You Will Need
-A pack of men's tank tops or an old shirt
-Rit Dye: pick out any color you choose! You can find this dye at a large food store, hobby lobby, or any craft store. Do note: if you are going to try to dye something that is dark, try bleaching it first. This tutorial is an example of how to color clothing that is lighter in color. However, dont be afraid to get creative! Click Here to see how to mix their base colors together to get specific shades.
-A bucket, extra large bowl, or a sink. There are many different ways to dye clothing. Read the directions on your bottle and do whatever works for you. For this tutorial I will be using a large bowl.
-A poker stick, a ruler, anything to push the clothes around while they are being colored
-Washing Machine or Hand-wash
Step 2: Coloring Your Top
1. First, go to the sink and fill your bowl with hot water.
2. Start pouring in the dye. I didn't measure. I would say I used 1/4-1/2 a bottle. The more you use the darker it will be.
3. Give the dye a good stirring before putting in your clothes.
4. Put in your tanks. I would recommend only putting in two-three at a time if you are using a bowl. If you dye more than 3 at a time they turn out a little splotchy.
5. Stir the clothes into the dye. Stir for about 2 minutes. Make sure the clothes are fully submerged and saturated.
6. Set the time. I kept my tanks in the dye for an hour. The longer you leave them in there the darker they will be. However long you leave them in there, make sure you stir the tanks around every 8-10 minutes. This helps the dye get to the parts of the fabric that may have folded over.
Step 3: Rinse With Cold Water and Wash
1. After your time is up, rinse out the tanks in cold water
2. Now you will wash your clothes using the warm water/cold rinse cycle. Tumble dry on the normal setting or hang dry.
Step 4: YOURE FINISHED!!
Now try that cute little top on and enjoy!
To see more tutorials like this one, feel free to visit my blog here: http://korrinewojcik.blogspot.com/
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.