Some of the things we include are:
* Have fish and chips at the beach
* Give each other a massage
* Cook dinner for mummy
* Watch a Christmas Movie
* Call friends in other cities
with many more suggestions on my website.
This year I've gone with a recycled toilet roll version. We collect all sorts of bits and pieces to recycle, and now that we're past the pre-school and playgroup years, we have fewer venues to donate our toilet rolls. Here's my quick (took me about 2 hours in total) guide to knocking up a recycled (and recyclable) advent calendar.
And please, just use this as a spark to get you going as the variations are only limited by what you have available.
Step 1: Materials
* 24 toilet roll tubes
* colourful tails - I've used crepe paper ribbon, but you can use scraps of fabric or paper.
* stapler (with staples)
* sticky tape or glue
* sheet of numbers (exclude if you're going to hand write or paint them on)
* sheet of activities (cut into strips that fit neatly into your tubes)
* string to hang on
* pegs to a attach to twine