Backyard birds won't know the difference between a fancy, store-bought bird feeder and one that's homemade, so save your money and make one out of an empty household item.
Whether you are an avid ornithologist or simply looking for kid’s holiday ideas, this project is simple and easy. Once made sit, relax and watch the birds fly in.
Step 1: You Will Need:
Empty plastic bottles
Wooden skewers or old wooden spoons
Hooks for hanging in the tree
Step 2: Here’s How
1. Wash and dry the bottles thoroughly.
2. Use your craft knife to cut out openings in the sides, back and front. In the containers we followed the shapes in the sides of the bottle and left the back and front closed.
3. Leave a small flap of plastic at the bottom of the openings for the birds to rest on.
4. Make a hole in the front and back for the wooden spoon or skewer. You can put fresh fruit on these for the birds.
5. Paint attractive designs onto the bottles and leave to dry. Design can match your outdoor garden theme or be completely neutral to the surroundings.
6. Insert a hook into the cap and hang from a tree in the garden.Don’t forget to add bird seed so that plenty of feathered friends will come to visit.