Step 1: Materials needed
1) 1x Ikea bag and part of a second one
2) An old backpack - only the back and handles need to be in good shape, I used one where the bottom of the bag had fallen out
3) A pair of shoelaces
4) 2x small toggles
5) sewing thread
1) sewing needle,
Step 2: Making the drawstring edge
2) Cut a small hole in the seam around the top of the ikea bag, and thread the shoelace through. You may find it helps to attach the shoelace to a pen or similar to push it around the seam.
3) To go round the join you will need to make a small hole in either side and bring the shoelace out then back in again.
4) When the shoelaces go all the way round the seam, add two toggles to them, then tie the shoelaces together above the toggles.
Two toggles gives extra strength compared to one.
5) Cut off the large blue ikea branded handles leaving only the smaller ones.
6) Now you can pull the shoelaces tight to close the bag, tying the small handles together to give extra security.
Step 3: Making the backpack handles
2) Undo the handles and lay the backpack inside the bottom of the ikea bag, handles down.
3) carefully cut four holes in the bottom of the bag, for the top and bottom of each handle.
4) Thread the handles through and attach them back together again on the outside of the bag.