It's not really cheating to start with red curry paste - making the real thing involves ingredients you're unlikely to have around, and the cans of curry paste store well on the shelf. Just make sure you get the good stuff1.
1 tin condensed red curry paste + 1 can coconut milk
2 cans red curry sauce
1 can tomato paste (mainly for color here, but it tastes good too)
1.5 lbs chopped chicken breast or thigh
1 red onion, chopped
handful mushrooms, chopped small
1 chinese eggplant, chopped small
- Saute the onion in a bit of oil.
- Open the curry paste and simmer with coconut milk until thoroughly mixed, or open and heat the curry sauce.
- Add the tomato paste, and stir until worked in.
- Add the chicken, eggplant, and mushrooms.
- Simmer until all are cooked through.
- Serve in bowls over rice.
1That likely means some non-english characters on the side of the can; check your local Asian market. I like Maesri brand, which comes in little color-coded cans the size of tunafish cans. Next best is the ready-to-use curry sauce in cans, again hopefully with Thai characters on the side. The stuff in glass jars isn't nearly as good, and powder almost certainly isn't worth your time.