Introduction: Red Curry With Chicken and Vegetables
Red curry with chicken and vegetables is easy when you start with store-bought curry paste. Perfect for Red Day lunch.
It's not really cheating to start with red curry paste - making the real thing involves ingredients you're unlikely to have around, and the cans of curry paste store well on the shelf. Just make sure you get the good stuff1.
1 tin condensed red curry paste + 1 can coconut milk
2 cans red curry sauce
1 can tomato paste (mainly for color here, but it tastes good too)
1.5 lbs chopped chicken breast or thigh
1 red onion, chopped
handful mushrooms, chopped small
1 chinese eggplant, chopped small
- Saute the onion in a bit of oil.
- Open the curry paste and simmer with coconut milk until thoroughly mixed, or open and heat the curry sauce.
- Add the tomato paste, and stir until worked in.
- Add the chicken, eggplant, and mushrooms.
- Simmer until all are cooked through.
- Serve in bowls over rice.
1That likely means some non-english characters on the side of the can; check your local Asian market. I like Maesri brand, which comes in little color-coded cans the size of tunafish cans. Next best is the ready-to-use curry sauce in cans, again hopefully with Thai characters on the side. The stuff in glass jars isn't nearly as good, and powder almost certainly isn't worth your time.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.