Tools I used were: A surform plane, 4-in-1 file/rasp, various files, a jigsaw (to cut out the initial excess), and some sandpaper. For the string, which is homemade as well, I made a jig with plans commonly available online to make flemish twist bowstring. The string material is Dacron B-50, purchased from eBay.
I finished it with a few coats of a homemade beeswax-olive oil finish, to protect the wood from moisture and bring out the grain.
It comes out to be 6 feet tall (a bit taller than me) unstrung, and pulls about 25#.
(One of my) pride and joys in my DIY career :D.
Speaking of which, please vote for me in the I Made It Photo Contest if you'd be so inclined. If I receive a leatherman multitool, my DIYing isn't only limited to my home -- I can't name the multitude of times I've been stuck during camping, hiking, or just somewhere in the city where I need a pair of pliers or a screwdriver to fix things... Or make something, for that matter.