I understand some restaurants will actually dip their chicken in red velvet cake batter before frying, but really, are you going to make up an entire batch of red velvet cake just to indulge in this sinful creation? Heck no. Go to the shop, buy a single piece of cake - it's enough to dredge an entire chicken! Or if you happen to have leftover cake (as if there were such a thing as "leftover cake"), you're good to go.
Step 1: Prep
- Deep Fryer - I like this easy-clean model
- Chicken - I used one whole chicken, cut it apart and skinned it, but you choose your favorite parts!
- Flour - about 1/4 - 1/3 cup, depending on how much chicken you use
- Egg, slightly beaten
- Red velvet cake crumbs- about 1/8 worth of a full cake (one slice) I used this recipe.
- Peanut or vegetable oil
- Begin by heating at least an inch of oil in your pan to 350F (180C) (Deep fryers obviously require more!)
- Separate flour, egg, and cake crumbs into three shallow dishes.
- Dredge the chicken pieces first in flour, then dip in the egg, and finally, coat in cake crumbs,