Introduction: Red Velvet Heart Cupcakes
Step 1: Make the Cupcakes
Buy a store bought red velvet cake mix, or follow this recipe and make them homemade:
Red Velvet Cupcakes:
-4 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
-3/4 cup sugar
-1 tbsp cocoa powder
-2 tbsp red food colouring
-1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
-1/2 cup buttermilk
-1 cup and 2 tbsp flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 325° F.
2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add egg and beat until well incorporated.
3. In a seperate bowl, mix cocoa, red food colouring, and vanilla and beat this into butter mixture.
4. Add in about half buttermilk, and half the flour, and keep adding until it is all mixed in.
5. Add salt, baking soda, and vinegar, beat for a couple of minuted so that everything is mixed together well.
6. Spoon the batter into paper liners so that they are 2/3 full, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean and the cupcakes bounce back when touched.
7. Let cool slightly in pan, then remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Step 2: Make the Frosting
I used cream cheese icing to attach the fondant to the cupcake, but you can pretty much use any store bought, or home made icing you have, as long as it's white. Here is the rcipe for the cream cheese icing I used:
Cream Cheese Icing:
-2 1/3 cups icing sugar, sifted
-3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
-4 oz. cream cheese
1. Beat the sugar and butter together until they are well mixed.
2. Add the cream cheese and beat until it is completely incorperated.
3. Continue beating for about 5 minutes, until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Step 3: Marshmellow Fondant
I made marshmellow fondant, but you can buy it premade too. Here is how I made mine:
1. Put some marshmellows in a bowl with a couple drops of flavouring (I just used vanilla extract) and a couple drops of water. Toss the marshmellows with the liquid so that they are lightly coated.
2. Microwave the mixture for 10 second intervals, mixing in between the intervals.
3. Spread the counter with LOTS of icing sugar and spoon the melted marshmellow mixture on top.
4. This is the part where it gets very messy but just stick with it and it'll turn out good. You need to knead the icing sugar into the marshmellow mixture, adding more icing sugar as needed. Keep kneading until you have a playdough like substance.
5. Store wrapped up in plastic wrap.
Step 4: Cutting the Fondant
Roll the fondant out on the counter and cut out circles the size of the top of the cupcakes with a cookie cutter, or just with a knife if that's all you have.
Step 5: Putting Them Together
Spread the tops of the cupcakes with the icing, and then gently place the fondant circles on top, pressing lightly to ensure they stick.
Step 6: Icing Hearts
Fill piping bags with royal icing. I used a size 2 tip, and made my hearts a variety of colours.
-2 large egg whites
-2 tsp lemon juice
-3 cups icing sugar, sifted
1. Beat the egg whites with the lemon juice until combined.
2. Slowly add the sugar until it is all combined.
3. Quickly transfer to an airtight container to prevent the icing from hardening.
Step 7: Eat Up!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.