Introduction: Refashion Glasses With Lego
After successfully repairing a broken hinge, I decided to add some stylish element to my glasses, and replace the original branding by another famous branding: LEGO!
(This method may not apply the same way to any glasses. It depends on how the hinge is made.)
Step 1: Needed Stuff
- Two 1x10 plates
- Two 1x4 plates
- Two 1x2 plates
- Can be found by the piece on BrickLink
- Steel string, 1mm thick. Extremely resilient. Can be found in RC models shops.
- X-Acto knife
- Dremel (optional)
- Vise, emboss (or scrap metal plate)
- Epoxy glue
- Sand paper or file
Step 2: For the Function: Make Replacement Temples
- With the pliers, make a loop with the steel string. You can use a small screwdriver to roll the wire around.
- The internal diameter must correspond to the original hinge screw.
- Cut out the excess string, and hammer the loop flat.
- Adjust the loop so that it turns smoothly into the hinge, with proper angular limitation.
Leave sufficient steel string length, and see next step.
Step 3: For the Fashion: Add Lego Plates
- Assemble the Lego parts. Join and align the end piece cover with the temple using a temporary 1x4 plate.
- Cut the steel string to approx length.
- With the Dremel, make a groove on the inner side of the temple, to receive the steel string.
- Hollow out the end piece cover.
- Adjust+rectify until perfect fit.
- Glue the end piece cover to the end piece, and the steel string to the temple. Keep the hinge free of glue.
- Let cure for some minutes, then add some clamps, and carefully align everything. Wait until completely cured. Add more glue if necessary.
- DO NOT GLUE the temple tips yet! See next step.
Step 4: For the Comfort: Adjust and Tighten Tips
- Wear the glasses during one hour, to determine the best position and angle of the tips. It shall not hurt, and the glasses shall not slip down.
- Sand the tips round (otherwise it will hurt you behind the ears).
- Add a screw for more stability (pre-drill the tip piece).
- Glue the tips to the temples, adjust the angle, and let cure.
You could add some Sugru to the inner sides.
Step 5: For the Fun
Now we have glasses with Lego fashion!
If it's not cool enough, Lego add-ons may be affixed at will, depending on the mood!