Celtic knot gladiator sandals
Step 1: Supplies
You will need:
- a pair of cheap flip flops
- hot glue gun
- burlap rope or something like it
- strong, sharp scissors
Step 2: Cut Off the Old, Ugly Straps
Using a strong, sharp scissors, cut off the straps of the flip flops. Discard the old straps.
Step 3: Cut the Rope
Cut the rope into 16 pieces that are each about 1.5 feet long. Separate the rope into two piles of eight pieces.
Step 4: The Knot
There is one picture per step. So for the first step of the knot look at the first picture, for the second step look at the second picture, and so on.
- Take four strands of rope and make a loop. It is important to make sure that when you crossover the right is crossed over on top of the left. It is easier to see in the picture than to explain.
- Lay the other four strands over top of the loop.
- Take the four the strands you just laid over the loop and tuck the right half under the right half of the loop.
- Pull the left side underneath the actual loop.
- Pull the right side under the left side of itself, but over the loop.
- Pull the ends gently to tighten the knot.
- Repeat steps 1-6 to make the second knot.
Step 5: Into the Flip Flop
Take the knot and put two ends (it should be eight strands of rope total) into the hole in the front of the flip flop, where your toes go. Put the other two ends each into the holes towards the back of the flip flop. See the pictures. Use a pencil or the closed end of a scissors to push the rope through the holes. Do this for both flip flops.
Step 6: Attach the Straps
Put the flip flop on your foot and pull the rope through the bottom till the straps fit your foot right. Take your foot out but make sure the straps stay how you had them. Cut the rope so that only a 3/4 of an inch of rope sticks out from the bottom of the flip flop. Use hot glue to glue the ends to the flip flop. Use the hot glue to flatten the rope to the flip flop.
Step 7: Strap Around the Heel
Take four strands of rope about 6 inches long and glue them with hot glue to the strap that you already made, two strands per flip flop, as shown in the picture.
Step 8: Enjoy
Try them on. If the rope bothers your skin, glue a little fleece or soft fabric to the inside of the strap for more comfort. And there you have it: your new and improved flip flops!