It's a long time I don't post anything, and time to do it again has come. B-)
I had a (really ugly) dresser only suitable to be thrown away. But before to throw it, I ask to myself: -STOP! Can I refurbish/tune it up? -And, of course, the answer was: -YES!
As usual on my projects, to do this you need a really low budget. For less than 4€ I give to this horrible TV furniture a bunch more years of life!
Let's see what I do with this.
1 old ugly drawer (required and mandatory) - Already own
3 different gift wrap paper rolls (can be more or less, and of course, you can use fabric, plastic of whatever material you prefer...) - 0,60€ each.
1 roll of gift wrap transparent plastic.- 0,75€
4 plastic guards (bumpers) - Already own
White glue, foam painting roller, brush, stapler, scissors, screwdriver, cutter and cutting mat. - Already own all these tools and materials.
Step 1: Preparing
First, to clean well the drawers I'llI take off the remaining pullers using the screwdriver.
I Clean all drawer's surfaces with 96ºAlcohol. As I need to glue paper on it, I can't clean these furniture with furniture cleansing products because they are made containing wax and other products to gave shine and polish to the furniture and this also prevent the glue to stick on the threatened surfaces.
I seize the opportunity to add some reinforcements on the edges to give to the dresser more stability.
Step 2: Cutting
Step 3: Glueing
First I begin with the structure glueing a lot of little pieces on top.
For the laterals, I glue a big paper piece on each and over it I go glueing little pieces of the others decorated papers.
On the edges, apply the glue with a pencil, and stick the paper trying to do it without wrinkles.
For the drawers, I think it could look better maintaining some parts of the original white colour, without any paper on it. To do that, I glue the front part of the drawers like I do before, with the ruler, and go sticking pieces of paper giving some space between them. Doing like this gives the front part of the furniture a less "baroque style".
After glue one side (laterals, top or the drawers) to prevent wrinkles I found about is a good idea brush it up again with a dry painting ruler. To do this is good do not press the ruler too much, because only is needed to hide a little bit the wrinkles, and if you press too much, you can break the paper...
Step 4: Finishing
To make the pullers, using the old holes on the drawers for the pullers, I insert on one of this holes a string locked in one side by a button. After doing this I stack some coloured beads and lock, for the inside part of the drawer, the string with another button. To fix this string, a made a knot and with the flame of a lighter burn it to fix it.
On the down side of the lateral pieces, I nail some plastic guards to separate the paper from the floor, because if I do not this, when cleaning the floor, we can damage the paper...
And... that's it! And now go to enjoy (and use) this new dresser!
Step 5: Last Touch
I go for my old citedell paint on the box where they are stored for nearly 15 or 20 years and I select the more shining and purpurin locking ones.
Drop some paint on a platter and with a new trim roller, go painting the tv plastic parts trying to paint it un-mixing the colours.
Once dry, add some white and red squares and hang the tv on the wall and that's it.
A new look for the horrible dresser / tv furniture.
Hope you like it (and hope you understant my bad English writing... but... Yes I know... :D )