Introduction: Remedies Using Neem (The Complete Pharmacy)
First Prize in the
Home Remedies Challenge
Neem is a tree easily available in most parts of India. Every part of the Neem tree (leaves, flowers, twig and bark) is supposed to be very useful and hence we could call the neem tree as "the complete pharmacy" and also sometimes called as "the village pharmacy". It can be either consume orally or applied externally.
It has a lot of antifungal, antidiabetic, antibacterial and antiviral properties, hence it aids health, skin and hair problems. It boosts immunity.
I have read a lot of articles about benefits of neem, about some Ayurvedic beliefs and about some ancient practices and looks like neem can have positive effects on some of the below mentioned ailments. However, I am not sure about the effectiveness of neem for all the below ailments but I have personally experienced its effectiveness in some simple ailments like pimples, dandruff, head lice, hair fall, body odor and foot odor.
- fine lines
- foot odor / body odor
- hair lice
- hair fall
- dental problems
Other uses supposedly include birth control and an excellent insect repellent and pesticide.
Availability: You can find neem powder in Amazon and also in Indian Grocery Stores.
- Consumption of Neem generates heat in the body and hence it is not advisable for pregnant and breast feeding women.
- Before deciding to use neem, please do more research and consider your personal allergies. Consult a doctor if required.
- I am neither a doctor nor a person from the neem research field so I might be wrong but I personally use neem for issues like pimples, dandruff, body odor, foot odor, hair lice and hair fall and find it very helpful, hence wanted to publish this article so it helps others who have these problems.
Step 1: Consuming Neem - Make Neem and Jaggery Balls (Bevu Bella)
Ugadi is a festival that marks the first day of new year and is celebrated in a few states in the Southern part of India. During this festival, traditionally, neem and jaggery balls are made and consumed first thing in the morning. It signifies that life is a mixture of bitter and sweet experiences.
So, its a great practice to eat this neem and jaggery balls every other day because neem is extremely bitter to eat as it is.
Consuming neem has the following advantages:
- Purifies blood.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Neem destroys the troublesome bacteria in the intestinal region and keeps the digestive track in order.
Step 2: Neem for Body Odor and Foot Odor / Neem As a AntiBacterial Cleanser
Odor from any part of the body is usually because of bacteria. Neem has excellent antifungal properties. It kills all the unwanted bacteria and keeps the area clean. It works great wonders on foot odor, body odor, athlete food and nail fungus.
Neem for Foot Odor:
Traditionally neem leaves are used but when I don't have leaves, I use neem powder.
- Mix 1 tbsp neem powder with 1 liter water.
- Boil it till it starts bubbling.
- Mix it with normal water so it is luke warm.
- Dip your feet inside this neem water for about 30mins.
- Wipe your feet.
You will see immediate results. I have done this for my family and hence, I can vouch on the results.
Neem for Body Odor:
- Soak neem leaves in water overnight and take bath with this water next day.
- When I don't have neem leaves, I boil neem with water as mentioned above and take bath with this water and it keeps body clean.
Step 3: Protect Stored Grains From Infestation.
Neem has properties of being an excellent natural pesticide. Indian normally like to buy grains in bulk and store for months together. So, from centuries, inorder to prevent insect infestation, Indians have been mixing neem leaves with stored grains (rice, lentils etc).
Step 4: Neem Face Pack
Neem Face Pack helps clear skin, blackheads, white heads, scars, pigmentation, acne. It keeps skin young :)
- Mix neem powder, honey and milk/yogurt.
- Apply on face for 30mins.
- Wash face with normal water.
- This can be done thrice a week.
Step 5: Neem - Hair Conditioner.
Neem helps condition the hair, keep it frizz free, dandruff free and lice free.
- Mix neem powder with water. Make a smooth paste.
- Apply it to scalp and hair.
- Leave it on for atleast 15mins.
- Wash with conditioner.
Personal Experience: My daughter had hair problems and she used to have skin infection especially around her neck so my mom used to use fresh neem leaves on her head and skin. It really worked wonders on her.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.