Note Although I have made this a step by step it is only done this way to break up a large amount of
Step 1: The Design
I found the perfect tree to hide her in and worked out she needed to move up and down diagonally.
The first picture shows the basic mechanics:-
- A single, geared motor drives it all
- Crosshead between two slide rails moved up and down by...
- toothed belt drive number one
- The platform, where the fairy stands, is driven sideways by....
- Lead screw and nut with a toothed pulley driven by...
- Toothed belt number two which is tensioned by a strong spring.
- Shows direction of travel for the fairy.
- Title says it all, I called her Nuff, she is a fairy that makes her Fairy Nuff!
The fairy wings are UV reactive and there are flashing UV lights (controlled by a pair of 555 timer circuits) to light her at night.
Next two pictures show circuit diagram for motor switches and relays and a circuit diagram of the light flasher circuit.
Step 2: The Bits
there is an extended aerial attached to the tree to ensure good communication with the wireless remote, the socket to connect it up can be seen in the pictures.
Step 3: The Bobs
Step 4: The Bits and Bobs
UV lamp control circuits
Main geared motor and relay
Step 5: Packing Her Away
Step 6: The Movie!
The way Nuff is used is that the party leader arrives at a nearby path and stands with her back toward the tree. The children hear how it is that adults cannot see fairies.... suddenly a fairy appears!
Trouble is everytime the adult turns to look for it, the fairy has vanished...repeat as required :)