A tech solution was required, the remit is:-
- A door opening and closing device that will also hold the door ajar if required.
- The door must be capable of normal use.
- I must be able to operate it from another room (using a web cam to monitor).
- Once dogs are shown how, they need to be able to open door themselves.
Step 1: Design time - parts
- The one I found was from a mobility bath lift.
- A power supply to run it
- Some microswitches to limit the movement..
- High strength magnet for the catch.
- Some diodes For restarting in the oposite direction.
- Door latch catch.
- and something to control it with.
Step 2: Design time - drawings
The drawing of the hardware may not mean much to people looking at this but took a number of hours to get right. :)
A GA shows what it would look like.....
The electrics drawing shows 2 microswitches at the top, each has a diode wired between the normaly open and normaly closed contacts, the diodes allow the motor to restart when the direction of the ram is reversed.
The second wiring diagram shows the addition of a manual..or dog operated... switch to the existing wireless remote setup.