Step 2: Things you will need
2. Then next think you will need is a www.kwiry.com account. This is a free account that will allow you to send it text messages and in response e-mails those messages to your e-mail account.
3. The third thing you will need is a phone that is capable of texting. Please keep in mind that, depending on the cell phone plan you have, sending text messages will incur charges from your cell phone.
Step 3: Create the "shutdown.bat" file
1. Open up "Notepad" by going to Start > Run > "Notepad" and then click OK.
2. In the notepad editor, type in:
c:\windows\system32\shutdown -s -f -t 00
3. Save the file to your computer. You can put it pretty much anywhere on your computer. I put mine on my C: drive.
What this batch file does is it points to the shutdown function on your computer, generally located at c:\windows\system32\shutdown. You may want to double check this, as some computers may have it listed as c:\winnt\system32\shutdown. If this is the case, then you want to change your batch file accordingly. The -s tells it to shutdown the computer. The -f tells it to force the computer to shutdown so that it doesn't get hung on any open applications. The -t sets the time for it to wait before it actually shuts down. You can set it to whatever you want, but I put in 00 to set it to zero.
Step 4: Make sure you have a POP3 capable e-mail acocunt
1. Go to http://www.gmail.com Gmail ] and click on "Settings" in the upper right.
2. On the resulting page, click on "Forwarding and POP/IMAP"
3. Select "Enable POP for all mail" and save your changes.
Step 5: Setup Microsoft Outlook to accept your e-mail account
1. If this is your first time opening up Outlook, it will start the e-mail wizard. If it doesn't, go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > Add A New Account > Pop 3
2. Set up the Pop 3 account by entering in your user information (for help using Gmail, refer to Gmail's documentation for setting up a POP3 account.
Step 6: Get a "Kwiry" account.
Step 7: Set up an Outlook Rule
1. Go to Send/Receive and select Send/Receive Settings > Define Send/Receive Groups.
2. Check the box that says "Schedule an automatic Send/Receive every" and then set the number box to "1 minutes" so that it checks for new e-mail messages every minute. Then click "Close".
3. Now go to Tools > Rules and Alerts. In the window that pops up, select "New Rule".
4. Select "Start from a blank rule" and make sure it's set to "Check messages when they arrive" and click Next.
5. The next page will let you select the conditions, so you want to check the box that says "with specific words in the subject line".
6. Now at the bottom of the window, click on the "specific words" link and it will allow you to enter the subject line that you want it to look for. For this instance, we want it to look for the Kwiry e-mail that we will be sending it. The subject line of that e-mail will read "your kwiry - shutdown" so enter that as the specific words and click Add and OK. Then click Next.
7. On the next page, we will be selecting the action we want it to do. For this project, we want to select "start an application". Click on the "application" link at the bottom of the window now and navigate it to the shutdown.bat file that we created. Note that you will have to change the File Select filter from "Applications (.exe)" to "All Files". Now just click Next and Finish.