I have recently started infusing sprits to make flavoured liqueurs. I decided that I should make the bottles match the new flavours in some way, with most this will only require some simple glass etching (using my fantastic Dremel, Thank you Instructables!). Currently however I have a ginger infused vodka maturing in a cold dark place, I could not think of a cool way to represent this on the bottle, but for some reason the blend brings Dragons to mind. Rather than etching Dragons onto the bottle I thought I would make a bottle that looks like it is wrapped in dragon skin.
I looked but couldn't find an 'ible to do this so decided to try it myself and write one along the way, and so here we are.
As always Duck tape was the first material that came to mind, its waterproof, hard wearing, self adhesive (obviously) and can easily be made to look like "leather" scales.
I decided to make this into a removable sleeve rather than sticking the scales straight to the bottle for a few reasons:
- Makes the bottle easier to clean without the sleeve.
- Can be easily re-used or moved onto another bottle of the same shape.
- Can be removed when chilling to allow for quicker cooling.
If you would rather not make it removable you can skip Step 1.
Whilst I've not tested it, I think the sleeve could act as an insulator to keep the contents cool after chilling and should act as a protective coat against small knocks.
I had read "Bouquet of Duck Tape Roses
" by poptart7 some time ago and my 'ible uses the same technique to make the scales as they do to make the petals, so you may want to check that out too for another description of the technique, plus it is a good 'ible and well for a look on its own merits.
I hope you enjoy this Instructable and will both forgive and let me know of any spelling or grammar errors you see, also let me know if anything isn't clear.UPDATE!
As I mentioned at the end of Step 5, I was not 100% happy with final look of the cap, I felt it was lacking and looked unfinished, I have now added an embellishment which I feel goes someway to improving the final look.
I have added an Alternate Method to the end of step 5 to show you what I did.
You can see the new version in the in the photos here and more in the final step. Please let me know what you think about the new cap in the comments.