Introduction: Remove Duplicate Values in Excel for Mac
Sometimes your Excel spreadsheet contains duplicate data. Excel offers a feature that will scan for and remove duplicated values.
Important things to know:
- When you remove duplicate values, only the values in the range of cells or table are affected.
- Any other values outside the range of cells or table are not altered or moved.
- Because you are permanently deleting data, it's a good idea to copy the original range of cells or table to another worksheet or workbook before removing duplicate values.
- When you remove duplicate values, you permanently delete duplicate values.
Image from: http://www.nedarc.org/tutorials/analyzingData/cleanTheData/determineCurrentDesiredQualityLevels.html
Step 1: Highlight All Data to Be De-duplicated
Step 2: Click the Data Tab
Step 3: Click the Remove Duplicates Icon
Step 4: In the Remove Duplicates Window:
- choose the column(s) you wish to remove the duplicates from (example shown: Column E—Period)
- at the bottom of the column listing, the number of duplicates found and remaining number of unique values is displayed.
- click the Remove Duplicates button
Step 5: Back at Your Spreadsheet, You Should Find Your Data With All the Duplicates Removed
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.