loading
Way too much water as added to this battery by mistake. As a result the electrolyte bubbled out when the engine was on. This acid leaked all over battery stand and transmission housing.

Using a syringe and tubing, I went to work to remedy the problem.

Step 1: Accessing the Cells.

With all 6 cell fill ports open, I did my grisly work.

Step 2: Removing the Excess.

Carefully pulling the syringe plunger up to get electrolyte out, I took out from each cell until the plates were just covered in electrolyte. An alarming volume of electrolyte needed to come out.

Once the levels were good, I closed up the battery and carefully washed the battery and transmission to remove the residual acid.

The engine cranked up great however this battery has now come to its end of life. Replacement necessary.

I have long abandoned lead acid batteries in my equipment in favor of Lithium iron phosphate which is environmentally friendly and far longer life.
<p>By reducing the acid concentration, the battery becomes less effective.. power drops and sulphating follows inevitably.</p>
<p>yes it died 3 days later but our main concern was the acid leaking all over the transmission body and electrical connectors. Simple choice between a relatively low cost battery and expensive transmission repair work.</p>

About This Instructable

993views

6favorites

License:

Bio: I'm a Trini hobbyist who enjoys making new projects, doing repairs at home, exercise and improving existing systems. I relish publishing my projects on ... More »
More by Mjtrinihobby:Replacing the starter and overload in a fridge.  Fixing a Slack Transmission Dipstick.  How to Send Bold and Italics Text in Whatsapp 
Add instructable to: