So I decided to repair them using 1mm thick steel string (*) to form a hinge and temple in one single piece.
This method may not apply to any glasses. It depends on how the hinge is made.
(*) that is used in RC models to transmit the force from servos to controls.
Step 1: Make a New Hinge
- With pliers, make a loop with the steel string. You can use a small screwdriver to roll the string around.
- The internal diameter must correspond to the original hinge screw.
- Cut out the excess string, and hammer the loop flat.
- Adjust the loop so that it turns smoothly into the hinge, with proper angular limitation. This is the only tricky part.
- Assemble using the original hinge screw.
Step 2: Shape the Temple Tip
This repair was so much more stable than the original design that I decided to also replace the other, non-broken temple.
Step 3: Done
For more comfort the tips could be coated with Sugru or similar.
I know, this covers the functional and structural aspects, and does not give a very fashionable look.
But wait, I have added some definitive coolness in my next Instructable!