- Unit won't turn on
- Unit won't return from standby
- Unit turns on and off intermittently
- Screen flickering or distorted
- Lines across the screen
If you're experiencing any of these, it's worth taking several minutes to check your circuit board capacitors.
Step 1: Tools needed
- Screwdriver, hex wrench, or whatever's needed to open the case
- Soldering iron
- Replacement capacitors (you will find the values for this in the following steps)
Also optional but helpful is soldering wick, which is available for fairly cheap at Radio Shack.
In this example I'm repairing a digital TV converter box that will power on, but does not activate from standby.