Introduction: Replacing a Car's Hvac Blower Fan.

Picture of Replacing a Car's Hvac Blower Fan.

My car has its blower in service since 1999. Time for a replacement! The first step is to remove it from under the passenger side of the dashboard.

My Blower was held by 3 hex head screws. I used an 8mm socket to get them out. It's a tight fit to reach in there but by sitting on the ground in my garage I got the job done!

Step 1:

Picture of

The oem blower has lots of leaves inside of it. You can see a side by side comparison of the oem and new.

You can see the opposite orientation of the impeller blades on each. When I tested both, each had the same Rotation but the new one sent air in the wrong direction! I needed to fix this.

Step 2: Swapping the Impellers.

Picture of Swapping the Impellers.

This step was the hardest. I used power lube on both motors. The locking clamp was removed first then a screwdriver was used to push the motor shaft out.

Step 3: Lubricating the Motor and Installing the New Blower.

Picture of Lubricating the Motor and Installing the New Blower.

I always like to lube motor bearings, new or old to ensure long life. With the oem impeller installed the blower was put in and tested. Worked great!


About This Instructable




Bio: As of April 2017 I have decided to no longer post on instructables. The fact that several of my published works have been removed without ... More »
More by Mjtrinihobby:External Light Sensor Night Light.Replacing a Toilet Tank Float Valve. How to Make Pig Feet Souse!
Add instructable to: