Introduction: Repurposed Dog Coat
Why buy it if you can make it!
Riding bikes comes with many perks, catching a glimpse of peoples trash is one of them! I scored a vintage ladies house coat and had to make something with its fetching print. This is what I made.
Learn how to fashion a dog coat from a people coat.
You will need:
1. Lined house coat or material of the like
2. Fabric shears or scissors
3. Sewing machine and pins
4. Newspaper and marker
5. Bias tape and buttons (optional)
Step 1: Measure and Make a Pattern
1. Measure your pooch from the nape of the neck to the base of the tail.
2. 8 inches or so from the base of neck, measure the distance from the middle of the spine down its side.
3. Measure the circumference of the neck.
4. Fold newspaper in half long ways, mark your spine length.
5. 8 inches from the neck, mark your side measurement from top to bottom.
6. Using the curvature of the body, free hand a pattern similar to the picture.
7. Place pattern on pooch to check for fit. Adjust as necessary.
Step 2: Cut the Fabric
1. Cut a panel of fabric from the house coat large enough to accommodate pattern.
2. Fold in half long ways.
3. Place pattern, folded in half ontop of fabric and cut.
Step 3: Hem and Sew
1. Hem the cut edges of the coat around the perimeter.
2. Sew bias tape around the cut perimeter.
Step 4: Add the Straps
1. Place coat on dogs back.
2. Measure the distance needed to close the gap around the chest.*
3. Measure the distance needed to close the gap around the neck.*
4. Add four inches to both measurements.
5. Make 2 straps, 3 inches wide by each length of measurements from step 2-3.
6. Sew the straps on one side 2 inches from the hem.
7. Add Velcro to remaining underside of strap.
8. Place coat on dog and pin Velcro to the corresponding position on other side.
*NOTE: place a pin to mark the location where measurements are being taken. This will mark where the straps will be attached in step 6.
Step 5: Fancify
This step is completely optional:
1. Add collar to nape of neck.
2. Add buttons to straps.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.