In the following you will be instructed on how to restore a used Barbie into her former glory without complicated methods. This is simple and safe way to do it – provided that you have a Mattel made genuine Barbie-doll made after the year 1973, as this tutorial does not refer to other fashion dolls or ponies etc. If you suspect that your Barbe doll could be older than that, do not go ahead with this. The number 1966 in the dolls back does NOT refer to a manufacturing year, but can be found on dolls made in the late 70′s up to early 2000′s. It is safe to use this tutorial on both collector and playline Barbie dolls.
Step 1: What you will need
- Shampoo, liquid soap or dish washing liquid.
- Detangling spray (for dogs for example) or hair conditioner.
- Preferably a metal comb (for cats or dogs).
- Long stemmed eye lash comb, preferably one-piece one, that has the stem formed of the same plastic as the comb part. Multi part combs can break into pieces in hot water. OR a full size flea comb if you can find one – better than an eye lash comb but harder to find in some areas that don’t really have fleas!
- A plate or another shallow dish. For a very long haired Barbie, the bathroom floor (drained) might be best.
- Boiling hot water (if your house doesn’t have thermostats, you can probably do with the hot tap water.)
- Optional: light, preferably spray-on hand cream / body lotion.