Step 5: Repairing the gas tank
Using a drill bit as a hand reamer, I unplugged the galleys in the petcock, then soaked it in carb cleaner.
For the inside of the tank, I first put a handful of nuts an bolts in it along with about a quart of degreaser, plugged the inlet and outlet, then rocked the tank back and forth and up & down for about 30 minutes to loosen the crud inside. Next I used a DIY commercial cleaning coating process which entailed soaking the inside of the tank in a weak acid solution for 8 hours, then using a neutralizer, then a permanent coating.
After taking care of the tank's insides, I then began work on the part that "shows." I used bondo to fill the four dents, carefully sanding and feathering the filler to the lines of the tank. Then I applied primer, then paint.
While the finaly coat was drying, I used a small knife blade to scrape away the rust from the tank's logo, then touched up the paint on the logo with an artist's brush.
Before reattaching the logo, I applied stair tread (sort of like a rough, rubbery tape) to the sides of the tank for decoration, then screwed the logo back on each side.
I realize this is not exactly how the original looked, but remember -- this is a resurrection, not a restoration!