But I had to use what was available at the time...
I wanted mine to open for storage and it needs to be strong enough to sit on.
The result is OK I think.
Retro suitcase of your choice
12mm MDF sheet
20mm diameter aluminum tube (wardrobe rail)
20mm rubber feet
Ruler, tri-square, tape measure
Hot glue gun
20mm hole saw
Step 1: Gut the Suitcase.
Carefully lever the staples and remove all the upholstery.
Step 2: MDF
I eyeballed the MDF and cut them roughly to the right size.
Next I sketched in the curves for the corners.
Cut the corners with a saw.
Rounded the corners with a rasp and sander until they fit in snugly.
Step 3: Base Structure
I measured the depth of the base and the depth of the lid to find the height of my side walls.
Yours will, of course, depend upon your individual case.
Glue, clamp and screw/nail them in place.
Step 4: Legs
The red 'feet' I picked up from a local hardware store for about $1.
Cut you legs to length with a hacksaw. They will probably not all be the same length, (mine were not...) so use the shortest on to mark the others and file them to size. Mine are 25cm ish.
Step 5: Lid/Seat
I sacrificed a cushion off the couch (don't tell the wife!) and sandwiched the wadding between the lid and the MDF.
It was pretty complicated combination of hot glue, epoxy resign and staples to fit firstly the MDF and then the upholstery back into the lid.
I mixed up a fair quantity of epoxy resin and spread it around the edge of the MDF.
I then quickly added a few 'blobs' of hot glue and pressed it into place, holding it until the hot glue cooled.
That should keep it in pace while to epoxy does its job.
I could have done with a third hand during this step!
Step 6: Fix the Legs.
Would have been so easy to just drill and bold the legs on!
However...here we go....
Firstly I marked out where the hole should be drilled and then using a 20mm hole saw, drilled through the base of the case.
Then I glued in the MDF base and left it to dry.
Then I marked the hole saw about 5mm from the end. Drilled down into the MDF to make a 5mm deep ring to fit the tube legs into. Tricky to keep the drill perfectly vertical. A bench drill would have been better.
Because I used wardrobe rails for legs, I used the mounting brackets to fix the legs onto the MDF base. There are small grub screws that attache the mounting brackets onto the legs.