In this instructable, you will learn how to reverse engineer Radio Frequency (RF) remotes and how to implement in a very cheap WiFi enabled computer, the Node MCU. Using this technique you can IoT enable older appliances and devices!
I purchased this Harbor Breeze Kingsbury fan a while back. While it’s a nice looking fan, and quite large, I was disappointed to find that it is controlled with a remote. Main reason being, it is not possible to control the fan without a remote. And the problem with a remote is that it inevitably gets lost and/or broken. So, I decided to undertake a project to replace the remote.
I break down this project into a couple of challenges:
- Capture what the remote control is sending to the fan
- Analyze the signal and determine pattern
- Figure out how to recreate the pattern
- Transmit corresponding signal with Radio Frequency (RF) Transmitter (TX)
- Make it easy to have this control available on my WiFi network
- Put a nice UI on top of it so it’s very user friendly.