Introduction: Rhubarb Pie
Hi all !
My recipe today is a simple rhubarb pie. I have something like three rhubarb plants in my garden. Unfortunately, this year I wasn't able to collect a lot of sticks. We got a poor spring, and my rhubarb plants are..sad.
Last year was totally different. I was able to collect a lot of sticks, prepare them and froze them. So this pie was made with frozen sticks, but it totally works with fresh ones.
Follow these simple steps ! Again, please tell me if you find English mistakes...!
Step 1: Ingredients
Ok, you will need:
- a ready made dough (again ? yes, didn't have the time to make one. I promise that I'll show you how to make one !)
- rhubarb cut in small cubes (see next step)
- two eggs
- 100 gr of sugar
- 2 tablespoon of semolina
Step 2: Prepare the Rhubarb
When you pick up the rhubarb in your garden or when you buy it, you should receive long almost red sticks.
To prepare the rhubarb (or to frozen it) you must :
- with a knife, peel the external skin of the sticks. You just have to remove the first centimetre with the knife, and pull the skin to remove it from the stick.
- cut the stick in about four sticks lengthwise and crosswise
- cut these smaller sticks into small cubes, 1 cm each.
- Put them in a bowl, and cover them with about one tablespoon of sugar. Mix.
- Put the bowl in a safe place for one night (in a microwave oven for example). They will loose excess water.
- put them in a sieve to remove the water.
You can now use them, or froze them.
Step 3: Bake the Rhubarb
We need to bake the rhubarb before putting it into the dough.
- Put the rhubarb into a bowl that fits into a microwave. Don't put anything else (no water, no additional sugar !)
- Put the bowl into a microwave and bake the rhubarb for 5-10 minutes. it will become a kind of compote.
Step 4: Prepare the Dough
- Ok, unroll the ready-made dough into a suitable baking mold.
- Make some holes in the dough with a fork.
- The rhubarb will "sweat" water during baking, so put about two tablespoon of semolina on the dough.
- Put the rhubarb compote on the dough, spread it on the entire pie.
- Put everything in the oven. 180°C, for 20 minutes. The dough edges must became (lightly) brown.
Step 5: Mix the Final Preparation
- In a bowl, mix two eggs and 100 gr of sugar (no milk !). As soon as the pie is baked from the previous step, pour this preparation on the pie.
- Spread the preparation on the entire pie with a fork.
- Put it again in the oven for 5-10 more minutes.
Step 6: Final Result
Ok, here is the result after the final baking.
This pie is tasty with a ball of vanilla ice cream. You may want to add sugar, as people may not like the "raw" rhubarb. You can also add apples in the "compote", if the rhubarb is too "acid".
Thanks for reading !