Step 1: Supplies
- 1 Fat quarter 100% muslin this is the rice bag.
- 1 Fat quarter pretty print fabric, this is the rice bag slip cover.
- Ribbon scrap for bow.
- 1 Pound 12 Oz bag whole grain rice ( DO NOT USE INSTANT).
- Velcro dots
- 1 Button
- Several drops lavender-oil.
- Index card.
- Funnel optional.
- Sewing pins.
- Gift card print here: http://www.vanessachristenson.com/2009/02/tutorialrice-bag-feet-warmer.html .
- PC and Printer optional you can hand write the information.
Step 2: Tools
- Seam ripper
- Hole puncher
- Marking pen
- Tape not shown
- Yard stick
- Here is where I found the pattern: link here: http://www.vanessachristenson.com/2009/02/tutorialrice-bag-feet-warmer.html
Step 3: Preparation
- It is always important to wash and dry all your new fabric before you cut it out.
- Press well for the best results.
Step 4: Cut Fabric
- Cut 2 pieces of the white muslin 7 X 14.
- Cut 1 of each of the pretty print 14 X 7, 10 X 7, 8 X 7.
Step 5: Rice Preparation
- Pour the rice into a bowl.
- Add a few drops of the lavender oil and mix well with a spoon.
- Set out a funnel.
- Set aside until the next step.
Step 6: Sew Rice Bag
- With right sides together pin the rice bag fabric together leaving the top end open.
- Sew all three side leaving the top open.
- Trim loose threads.
- Clip all corners.
- Turn right side out.
- Use a pin and pull out the corners so they are pointed.
- Press well.
- Turn under the top of the bag 1/ 4 inch as shown.
- Press well.
- Fill the bag with the rice. ( I used a funnel.)
- Sew the open end of the rice bag to make a nice finished edge.
- Set aside while you make the rice bag slip cover.
Step 7: Back Slip Cover Piece
- The two smaller rectangles are the back.
- Fold over 1/4 inch once (on one of the 7 inch side)
- Then fold over again for the second time.
- Do the same to the second small rectangle.
- Sew along your folded fabric so that you end up with two nice finished edges.
- Trim threads.
Step 8: Pinning and Sewing the Rice Bag Slip Cover
I did not get a picture of this step because I sewed it wrong. So I took pictures of her page to show the correct way. I did not want to confuse you about the different fabric. I am including the way I pinned it to show how not to pin it. Follow the instructions for the the pink pictures. If these pictures confuse you go to her page and see the layout.
- Place right sides together.
- Make sure you pin down all three pieces.
- Sew along all four sides ( together) using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
- Clipping the corners will make the corners form a pretty point.
- Turn inside out.
- Press well.
- Stuff the muslin rice bag inside your slip cover.
Step 9: Bow Tie Embellishment
- I am so girly! I had to add a bow and a button.
- Sew the button to a bow.
- Stick a Velcro dot to both the bag and bow and place it where you want.
- I will always remove the outside cover before I microwave my rice bag to keep it looking pretty. If this is a gift for someone you should not do this part or you should just tape it instead and mention they can sew the embellishments on if they plan on removing the rice bag slip cover before microwaving it.
- Next trim the card note to fit an index card and tape it to it.
- Punch 2 holes to stick the ribbon through.
- Tie a bow.
- Tape it on the pillow.
Step 10: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
Thank you for swinging by and please do come again, I will put the tea on for you!