Introduction: Ring Murukku (Fried Rice Flour Rings)
Runner Up in the
Snacks Contest 2016
Ring Murukku (Fried Rice Flour Rings) is a traditional south Indian snackmade during special occasions. It is made using homemade rice flour , black gram, sesame seeds and cumin seeds. The freshly homemade rice flour really enhances the flavor of the Murukku.
Step 1: Ingredients
1) Raw Rice - 2 Cups
2) Urad Dal - 2 Tbsp
3) Red Chilli Powder - 1 Tsp (as per taste)
4) Sesame seeds - 1 Tsp
5) Cumin Seeds - 1 Tsp
6) Butter - 1 Tbsp
7) Salt - as per taste
8) Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
9) Oil for frying
Step 2: Making of Homemade Rice Flour Especially for Murukku
1) Wash and Soak the raw rice for 2 to 3 hours.
2) Drain all the water from the soaked rice and spread it on the kitchen towel and allow it air dry for few hours (2 to 3 hours)
3) The rice should only be 90% dry and should have little moisture in it. That is what is preferred.
4) Then Grind the rice into a fine rice powder and sieve it gently 2 to 3 times.
Fresh Homemade Rice Flour is ready now !
The Soaked rice should not be sun dried. It should be dried in shade till it is 90% dry.
Step 3: Making the Murukku Dough
1) Wash and Soak the urad dal/black gram for 2 to 3 hours.
2) Grind the urad dal into a fine paste with little water and keep it aside.
3) In a bowl, add homemade rice flour, ground urad dal/black gram, asafoetida, butter, sesame seeds, chili powder, cumin seeds and mix well.
The Murukku Dough is ready now.
Step 4: Making the Ring Murukku
1) Take a small portions of the dough and roll it into a string of equal lengths.
2) Then pinch both the ends of the string to form a ring. Make as many required.
3) In a pan, add oil and heat to medium to high temperature.
4) Then add the murukku rings to the oil and keep frying till it turns golden brown.
Ring Murukku is ready now !
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.