Introduction: Road Runner Toy That Is Really Fun to Make and Use
My biggest dream is to become a toy designer. In the past I have posted the "Unicus" idea that I have had for 7-8 years now but no one really believe in the concept. Yesterday I got to think, how would it be received if I make a concept toy based on a well known character? I first was thinking about doing this using Sonic the Hedgehog but I soon realized that Sonic curl up in a ball not propelling his legs. It then struck me, the runner of all times Road Runner would fit my proof of concept toy perfect!
Here's my story...
EDIT: also made a Sonic version, here>>
Step 1: The Stuff Needed
• 2x lids (from baby food jars)
• 2x cotton swab (hollow type)
• 3x brad nails (round, not too long)
• 1x screw
• 1x or 2x nuts
• 2x o-rings (the size of the lids)
• 1x print out of the Road Runner
Step 2: The Tools Needed
- glue (I used spray glue)
- wire cutter
- small hammer
Step 3: The Legs/wheels
- First punch one of the brad nails through the center of one of the lids (doesn't have to be super center, the wobbly will only add to the character).
Step 4: The Legs/wheels (2)
- Use the wire cutter to shorten the brad nail. (If you have shorter nails skip this part).
- Complete the second leg/wheel.
Step 5: The Legs/wheels (3)
- Cut one of the cotton swabs according to the picture.
Step 6: The Legs/wheels (4)
- Push the hollow cotton swab bit onto one of the nails according to picture.
Step 7: The Legs/wheels (5)
- Put the o-rings on the lids and then push the other nail into the hollow cotton swab.
Step 8: The Body
- Remove the cotton from the other cotton swab.
- Stick the last nail into the hollow cotton swab according to picture.
- Screw the screw (with nut(s)) into the short end according to picture.
Step 9: Skeleton Done!
- You have now made the skeleton (you can try it now if you want!)
Step 10: The Skin
- Cut out the figure using the scissor. Try to be as close to the flaps as possible (but it's easy to do the trimming once completely done).
Step 11: The Skin (legs/wheels)
- Once the legs/wheels are cut out just press fit them into the lids.
Step 12: The Skin (body)
- Spray the glue onto the back of the body.
- Place the body skeleton according to picture (the long end should be in the middle of the Road Runners neck).
- Place the opposite body onto the body skeleton.
- Wait for the glue to dry.
- Trim the edges...
Step 13: The Finish
- Once everything is dry and trimmed it's possible that the body will weigh more. This is easily fixed with a extra nut (see picture).
- Place the body onto the legs/wheels (according to picture).
- Lets test it out, YouTube video below... (this is what I made using house hold items, imagine if I could use a toy concept workshop)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.