This is the first of a series of instructables.
In order to understand the origin of this instructable please refer to the link below:
This year FRC FIRST robotics competition -Logomition
This instructable will show you how to design, manufacture and assemble a gripper for the inflated tubes in this years competition.
all ready ? ? ?
lets get started
btw - The age group of this instructable is 13-18 ( the frc contest is for 10th-12th grade students)
Step 1: Design
The concept was a motorized pliers with broad surfaces at the tip in order to prevent the inflated tube from slipping or changing orientation.
in the photos below you can see a rendered image of the design alongside the actual assembly.
The design was planned to be simple, light weight and cheap (using standard screws, alluminum plates and RHS- Rectangular Hollow Section Alluminum)
Details regarding the different parts are in the following step.
Step 2: Parts
1. Denso Window motor from this years Kit Of Parts
2.Denso Motor coupler.
3.A motor mounting plates
4. A movement limiting plate
5. Bottom plate asm
6. Top plate asm
7. 2 25mm M6 screws and nuts
8. 120mm M10 screw an nut
9. 2 50 mm M6 screws and nuts
10. A 12v battery
11. RHS spacer
12. 2 M4 screws
Measurements can be determined as you see fit.Some of the manufacturing drafts are added below.
Manufacturing can be done using a drill and a plate cutter (jigsaw, handsaw, guillotine etc.)
Step 3: Assembly
1. Connect the motor coupler to the top plate asm using 2 M6 screws.
2. Mount the motor on the motor mounting plate using the 2 M4 screws.
3. Screw the M10 screw on the movement limitong plate.
4. Place the coupler on the motor and place the limiting movement plate from the other side (you get a motor sandwitch)
5. Place the spacer and bottom plate asm inside the sandwitch - fasten the 2 long M6 screws
Step 4: All Done!
All that remains is to connect the batttery to the motor and creat the movement as we wish.
Check out the video below to see it in action: