Step 15: Finish It!
A few afterthoughts: The long 12 in. arms could easily be shortened by at least 2 in.-3 in. and still fit everything nicely, but make it even more compact and stable. I have played on this setup, on carpet, and nothing moves. And I play pretty hard. There is a ton of room for expansion, since PVC comes in all shapes and sizes. One thing I thought of doing was replacing the tees at the connection point to the legs with y shaped pieces. This way, I would be able to use the part of the Y going straight up as a place to stash drumsticks. Also, some sort of cable management might be in the next design; however, I really don't mind just wrapping my cables the way they are in the photo. Another easy modification to this would be to make a mike stand projecting over to where the drummer sits, then all you singer/players could do both! Overall, this project cost around $40 to make, but that includes buying the mini hacksaw, and 5' lengths of the pipe used. I used barely half of the pipe, so there is plenty of pipe left over to do a second one for someone else, all they have to buy is the joints. Obviously, if you have pipe lying around, this project could be quite a bit cheaper.
Head on over to the next step to see how I built supports for the two outer pads!