Introduction: Rocket or Spaceship Bed for Little Boy
Fourth Prize in the
This rocket / spaceship bed was made for a little boy who loves anything to do with space and I thought it might be nice to show you how easy it was to make the bed. The bed is made using 16mm MDF and has a solid 16mm particle board base.
YOU WILL NEED:
2 of 1000 x 2400mm 16mm MDF - sides
2 of 400 x 1070mm 16mm MDF - headboard / footboard
4 of 350 x 350mm 16mm MDF - back / bottom fins
2 of 300 x 300mm 16mm MDF - feet
2 of 50 x 250mm 16mm MDF - side fins (red)
2 of 250 x 1038mm 16mm MDF - supports
6 of 200 x 200mm 16mm MDF - portholes
2 of 44 x 44 x 1800mm PAR pine - base supports
1 of 920 x 1800mm 16mm particle board - base
OPTIONAL: 3mm MDF for front / back detail and back of portholes
25, 45 and 55mm cut screws
Acrylic or latex paint in your choice of colours (grey, red, black)
Drill / Driver plus assorted bits
Jigsaw and clean-cut blade
Orbital sander plus 120- and 240-grit sandpaper
Tape measure and pencil
Note: Not shown here, access to the bed is via a small step stool
Step 1: Assembly
1. Draw out your design on the side sections and use a jigsaw to cut out. You also need to cut the feet and fins to shape and cut out the portholes.
2. Sand all the cut edges with 120-grit sandpaper if uneven and then with 240-grit to smooth. Also round off the sharp edges of the board.
3. The side fins and portholes (and optional 3mm panels) are only glued onto the sides after all sections have been painted. See later on for finishing and painting.
4. Drill countersunk pilot holes through the sides to secure the head and footboard. Paint this section before adding any additional components.
5. Paint the feet and fins. Drill countersunk pilot holes in the back of the feet and fins, add a bead of wood glue and secure to the inside of the sides.
6. Secure the feet supports onto the front feet and back fins as shown below.
7. Attach the base supports onto the sides with wood glue and 55mm screws. The supports are mounted directly above the feet and bottom fins.
Step 2: Finishing
In the images you can see the detailing that was added to the sides. The portholes and 3mm MDF panels were painted with Rust-Oleum satin canyon black.
Behind the portholes are circles of 3mm MDF sprayed with Rust-Oleum metallic silver.
After final assembly the base can be inserted.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.