Step 4: Create the Helmet Crest
This part was rather difficult to make it look how I wanted it to look. In the end, it looks fine, but I'm still overly critical of it.
The BROOM!!! (images 1-4)I cut apart 2 brooms since I found that one didn't cover the area that I wanted. I ended up using 1.5 brooms. The brooms I found were a bit expensive in the dollar store - around 2 dollars. I cut them apart and saved the pieces.
The bristles are bundled with wire - DO NOT CUT THE WIRE!! You will make a mess and make it much more difficult to mount. I'm fairly sure that most brooms have a twisted wire configuration to hold the bristles in.
I tried using my airbrush to paint the bristles - man, how naive I was. I recommend using thinned red paint (deep crimson, like dried blood color) and painting it on with a paint brush. It wasn't perfect, but it worked well enough.
The crest holderI traced the curve of the helmet on a piece of cardboard to make a template (images 4,5,6). I then used the template to create curved sections on larger pieces of cardboard. I oversized the rough curve so I could incorporate flaps on the bottom to attach to the helmet.
I then used this template to cut curved pieces to sandwich the broom between, since I knew that I'd need to attach the broom at another time. I eyeballed the whole thing including the flap size. Flexibility of design is key.
I made the crest holder a little thicker than the broom bristle bundle for two reasons.
1. I wanted to make it look robust, and I needed the surface area to make a strong bond with the glue.
2. I sandwiched the broom section between two pieces of curved cardboard. This gave me flexibility in case I messed up and glued them incorrectly - I wouldn't damage the crest holder re-positioning the broom location.
The sandwiched pieces were then glued into the crest holder. I failed to make sure that the crest was perfect, so the mohawk is just slightly crooked.
No one cares but me.