Why not make a Romtopf for the Christmas table?
What is romtopf? It's vodka and/or rum that you've infused with summer ripened berries. There is a multitude of recipes for how to make Romtopf, both on the internet and in my family (this is the first Romtopf instructable on Instructables although there are other 'ibles that cover the same thing (see the bottom)). Within the family we have at least two:
- 1,5-2 dl of vodka/rum and 1,5-2 dl of sugar for every litre of berries
- Equal amounts of berries and sugar that you cover with the necessary amount of vodka/rum
- Add a layer of berries, cover it with sugar and then with the vodka/rum
- Repeat the process with the berries you want in it until the jar is filled to the brim.
- Keep the jar somewhere dark and cool for at least a month
- Filter the containts from the berries and to keep a clear beautifully coloured liqueur. The longer the berries sit in the vodka/rum the better the taste is going to be. (Pictures of this is coming up in about a month)
**Be beware that the berries contain alcohol so don't serve to under-aged kids or drive directly after. ** I did this with last years batch and served to my friends as we were having an end-of-term pre-party. Tasted great together with a small snifter of the newly-made liqueur.
Cranberry infused vodka by mikeasaurus
Strawberry infused vodka by shuttlebean - love the pictures!