An eye bolt will keep your rope from rubbing the bark off of the tree and/or wearing through. It'll also make the swing much smoother.
A monkey's fist will give you a place to sit (or stand) while your swing. And, let's face it, it will look awesome.
Step 1: Step 1: Get your hardware
- 1x clevis shackle (a nice big one; mine was rated for something like 2000 lb)
- 1x eye bolt (long enough to go through the branch you've chosen)
- 1x regular nut
- 1x lock nut
- 2x washers
- My rope is nylon, about 30 feet long and about 1.5 inches thick. It cost me somewhere around $20.
- You need 10-15 feet of rope for the monkey's fist knot
- Thicker is better: no one wants to cut their hands on a thin rope, even if it's strong enough.